Thursday, January 3, 2013

Alaverdi

Hello!

This week was pretty stressful. :p We had lots of places to go. I wasn't hardly in my area at all. We had the Christmas party in Yerevan on the 24th, then on Christmas we went over to Gyumri to train the new District leader over there. On Friday we had lots of training down in Yerevan (and my birthday :) ) and then on Saturday we went up to Alaverdi to visit the members up there. It was way fun. 
 
Alaverdi is a small factory city from the Soviet era. There's still one copper mine factory working but besides that the whole city is full of factory skeletons. It's a way nice city though that's apparently supposed to be really green during the spring. 
 
The missionaries pulled out of there when I was in the MTC and the branch closed right after I got to country, so right now it's just a group, mainly because there's no priesthood. But once every month we make sure all the members get the sacrament, and one other time during the month we go up and visit them and meet with them and any other investigators. So yeah, that's Alaverdi. :)

We had a pretty cool experience this week. We were just walking along when this one guy just stopped us and said "Hey, I'm interested in learning about that book you're holding. How can I get a hold of one?" and of course we responded by saying he was talking to the right people :) So hopefully he'll be willing to meet either today or tomorrow. :) It came after a really hard week, so it was a nice breath of fresh air. 

The week before, we were having a pretty rough day, so I stopped Elder Harrington and said, "Hey let's say a prayer." By this point it was already 8:00 at night. Before we even let our arms fold, a guy from across the street called out to us to come over. He then invited us into his house where his wife, kid, sister, niece, and mother were. At first they were hesitant, but they warmed up super quickly. I'm not sure if they were interested in the gospel, but if nothing else, they're our friends now :) God answers prayers.

Well, that's my week. Happy New Year! I love you all!

Elder Hammer
 
Parts of Jared's letter to me:
 
 On my birthday, we had to go down to Yerevan for training meetings and conferences the whole day, so I had to wake up at 5:00. So while I was waiting for the taxi to show up, I opened my box while everyone else was asleep (Elder Harrington stayed in Vanadzor with the Gyumri District leader because he had work). Thank you so much for everything :) It was kind of neat because my district remembered me when they came to pick me up. So it was a fun (long though) day.
Me, Branch Prez. Elder Hall, Elder Griffeths, and Arturik one of our young members
We went to Alaverdi this last Saturday. We found these. You are what you eat. And you are what what you eat eats...



I don't know if you can see, but that was the thermometer on the way down to Yerevan. Right after I took the picture, it went down to -27 C.
This is one of our member families in Alaverdi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! We will post your comment as soon as we can!